JOIN OUR CREW
WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR EAGER TALENT
We are looking for the star of our next film i know why the bright eye dies!
About The Project:
This is a short dance film choreographed, directed and produced by Caroline Liviakis. The cinematographer is Aakash Raj. The film is just under 7 minutes. It will feature a soloist dancer for the entire duration. The plan as of now is to have the film play worldwide across the film festival circuit for two years and then be distributed online. The style is ‘contemporary ballet’, but there are many stylistic elements which are Liviakis’ own unique style and don’t fall under this classification. It would be danced barefoot.
What We’re Looking For:
- Trim, toned physique.
- Long legs
- Stunning face with big, beautiful eyes
- Should be able to fully communicate through movement and the use of facial expressions, the theatrical motivations behind the character. The character portrayal is equally important to the technique of the piece.
- Has extremely strong, precise technique particularly in Ballet and Contemporary.
- Needs extremely flexible shoulders, and hips and needs to be able to balance on the left foot for approx. 1 minute straight while performing various spins etc.
- Needs to have a high level of endurance. The piece can be very challenging and demands a lot of energy. Needs to be able to perform at this high level for an entire film shoot.
- Is open and eager to adapt style, performance, and technique to fit the choreographer’s vision, even if those go against traditional ballet conventions (ie. sickled feet, internally rotated shoulders, quirky neck movements, and adding hip movements).
- Is a hard worker and is willing to take the time needed to practice movement sequences and individual movements over and over again until it is right. Takes pride in her performance and wants to work to make it the best it possibly can be.
- Has a flexible schedule and time to dedicate to the project. Is understanding of the fact that scheduling a film shoot at this time with the shutdowns is difficult and is a ‘let’s make this work’ kind of person, doing her absolute best to accommodate for a successful outcome.
- Ideally has some experience dancing with the camera, though this is not a requirement.
Compensation and Expenses:
- Nonunion only.
- A flat rate stipend of $1,000.00 US dollars will be paid at the completion of the final day of the film shoot.
- If the dancer who is selected is not local to the shoot/rehearsal location, then travel and living accommodations will be provided.
- Food will be provided for both film shoot days.
Rehearsals and Filming Dates:
As you can probably imagine, fully scheduling rehearsals and a film shoot in the current shut-down state is pretty difficult, but we aren’t letting that stop us from starting this project! It just means unfortunately we can’t be quite as specific as we’d like to be in terms of the exact scheduling. Here is what our plans are so far:
- 2-day film shoot. The goal is to film in Los Angeles in early October.
- There is no set number of rehearsals, it would be the amount needed to fully learn the piece and prepare for a sucessful shoot
- There are two options for rehearsals, the one that makes the most sense will be decided upon casting if the dancer cast does not live near San Francisco or Los Angeles. Either Caroline, the director, will travel to the town where the dancer lives and we’ll hold rehearsals there, or we’ll fly the dancer here to hold rehearsal. Rehearsals therefore would be compact into a short duration of time. Learning the choreography would need to occur over video to prepare for these in-person technique and performance-driven rehearsals. If you’re local however, we’ll just find a common schedule and studio and begin rehearsing no problem!
What To Send For Your Audition:
This audition is being held entirely online. These are the materials required for consideration in this initial casting search.
- Dancer Shot/Body Shot
- Audition Video (a video of you performing the choreography as taught in the video below to the music linked below. Please include an unlisted YouTube link to you dancing the material to the best of your ability.
- A list of your availability to rehearse and shoot during the next 3 months. Please be as specific as possible. Things that would be particularly helpful to know are: what days do you have completely open? What days do you have a large chunk of time consistently free? How flexible is your schedule, particularly for traveling for a shoot and possibly for rehearsals
Optional items to send:
Callbacks over Skype will be arranged individually with the director and a select group of dancers.